Wednesday, March 23, 2011

I am am safe, sound, and without regular internet...

Friends!

I have been in Kazakhstan for almost two weeks. What a whirlwind! I
apologize that I didn't post an update sooner, but internet access
here, though definitely available, is much more sparse than in the
states.

And I have been in almost constant motion since we landed in Almaty!
Peace Corps training is a ten hour per day, six days per week affair
(it turns out that much like Rome, Kazakh language proficiency and
TEOFL certification is not built in a day). In my non-school hours I
am at home with my wonderful host family. Here in Birlik, Kazakhstan I
have a mother, father, grandmother, four delightful siblings (4, 8,
12, and 15), and more aunts, uncles, and cousins than I can keep track
of.

I am learning constantly (which most of you will know means that I'm
supremely happy). Much of what I'm learning are skills I thought I had
mastered years ago: how to say my name (I now reglarly answer to
"Hezar" and can spell it in cyrillic; the four year old calls me
"Sezar"), how to go to the bathroom (squat toilets are especially
challenging on dark cold nights!), how to bathe myself (though limited
to once a week, I'm quie fond of the sauna-like banya experience), and
how to eat (we do a whole lot of it here!). I am also learning to
speak Kazakh, and feel extremely successful when I can compliment my
host mother's cooking in a full sentence. Someday I hope to expand to
full conversations.

I can't write much more now, and I'm not sure when I will write again,
but know that am thinking of all of you and I greatly appreciate the
emails you all have sent. When I do get brief access to email, I love
reading your notes. I'll try to reply in due time.

Much love,
Heather

No comments:

Post a Comment