which is kind of awkward timing to begin work as an English teacher.
It wasn't exactly clear what I should do while teachers and students
prepared for exams, had final ceremonies, then left for three months
of summer. I started to have frightful visions of prolonged
thumb-twiddling in 100 degree weather… Fortunately, only the hot
weather part has come true (fortunate because it turns out my
tolerance for extreme heat is much higher than for boredom).
In the four weeks (to the day) that I have been here I have: presented
a seminar about Peace Corps to English teachers from the region,
facilitated a week-long English discussion club for teachers wanting
to practice speaking, enjoyed several afternoon English clubs with 9th
and 10th graders, and helped teach lessons and play games in an
English summer camp! (See photos: green=general camp photos, yellow=my
camp English lessons)
The wonderful thing about coming to a school that already has a Peace
Corps volunteer is that much of the groundwork has been laid for me.
Katharine (who will return to America in August) has done incredible
work here in her two year service, and I'm excited to build on her
successes. (It's also been nice to have Katharine, Tes, and Lisa to
give me vital Zhetysai information, like where to buy delicious
vegetarian samsas and which post office worker knows how to send
letters to America.)
The rest of June will be spent traveling to two other summer camps
hosted by PC Volunteers in the region. Camps are fantastic—the
students are excited to be there and motivated to speak English, we
have more time for English lessons and games than the normal school
schedule allows, and we get to spend a week playing and laughing with
American friends!


No comments:
Post a Comment